Had a very fun and tiring day! End result was 5th OA woman and 1st AG 30-34. But, of course, more importantly was the matchup with this guy:
I won the smackdown by 6:45, most of it on the swim (not surprisingly since Paulo has been in the pool about 1 time in 3 years). I narrowly took the bike and he narrowly took the run. Oh yeah, and he would like to spin it that he actually won, since he had a faster run, T1 and T2, while I just beat him in the swim and bike. Good try ;-)
Smiles all around after the race!
A couple notes about the race (because I'm too tired for a report)
- Paulo achieved the ultimate goal for any triathlon. Puking at the finish line. How great is your timing to be able to leave it all on the course and still finish strong BEFORE losing the past 3 miles worth of gatorade in the sand after the timing mat?? Priceless I tell you!
- Racing at 5000 feet after training at sea level is HARD
- I love racing with an aerohelmet! THANK YOU WILL!!!!!!
- Misha is the greatest race sherpa in the whole world. Thank you!
- Elephantman triathlon is the best run race that I have experienced. Top notch, especially for such a small event (225 competitors).
- That course is FREAKING HARD. Yes. HARD!
Quote of the day:
Paulo (before the swim): "I think maybe this would be a good time to tell you that the farthest I have ever swam in open water is 1500m" (Race was a tad over 1 mile)
More pics and full report to follow...
1 day ago