Friday, December 14, 2007

What have I done???

-OK, not quite sure what kind of drugs I was taking tonight, but I just registered for 2 races for 2008 that make my hands shake. One is Steelhead and it scares the crap out of me because it is my "A" race for the year. The other one will remain unnamed for now, but I think it officially qualifies me for admission to the psych ward where I will be working next week. Lets just say, when I'm done with it I think that I'll look back on CdA as the easy days. More later when I move on in my stages of coping. I'm enjoying denial at the moment. But anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance are soon to come...

-My life has been very busy lately. I've been trying to fit in training at every possible juncture. Because of that, my 2 weeks off will have to be packed full of the studying I have been avoiding. Well, that and more training! I'll be home with my training buddy, Dad, so it should be fun!

-The Holidays... Working on a Psychiatry service during the holiday season really gives an entirely different perspective to the season. Christmas was always such a happy and long anticipated holiday with my family. Dad has played Santa on Christmas Eve for little kids all over since before I was born. He puts up a Christmas light display that puts Clark Griswald to shame. He actually upgraded his electrical service in the house so that he could get more power! And mom, Mrs. Claus as I like to call her, decorates the inside of the house like the north pole. Santas and snowmans everywhere. 2 Christmas trees, red bows all throughout the house, and the constant smell of cinnamon and pine. We eat my favorite junk food all night, which always includes Ruffles and French Onion Dip (the only day in the whole year that I eat chips). I drive Santa to the kids houses, and we open presents by the tree. With the addition of the nephews and niece, it's just so much more special now!

But this week alone I cared for 2 people who attempted suicide. The holidays are a brutal reminder for many people of a life lost. The death of loved ones, the loss of family and spouses because of drug and alcohol abuse, financial hardship. It really makes me appreciate my wonderful and loving family so much more. Can't wait to go home!

-OK, on a silly note, here are some pictures from last weekend when Paulo was in town visiting. We were playing around with my Mac's built-in camera. Fun!





8 comments:

Danny Montoya said...

One of your best posts to date!! Cool pics too ;-)

Can't wait to hear abou the "unnamed" race!!!

Judy said...

Great pix! Love the hats. Steelhead is a great race - and we can't wait to hear about the unnamed race!! Happy Holidays!

Wes said...

What?? You are going to keep us on the hook for this "mystery" race? Whaaaaaaa :-) I know, I know. See cap. HTFU!!!

Janet Edwards said...

Fun pics!!! I think I want to come to your house for Christmas! For some reason your dad seems like he would make a great Santa.

OK...now I guess I should have done that trainer ride today to hear about this big race!!!

Charlie said...

Thanks for the reminder. I have to go register for Steelhead now. What the heck did you sign up for?
Have a good holiday at home. Don't forget your sunglasses for the xmas lights.

B Bop said...

I too, need to get registered for Steelhead. C'mon....what's this little race your talking about????

From what I've put together about your parents from this blog, I'm not at all suprised to hear about the holidays in their household. Enjoy your vacation at the north pole.

triguyjt said...

jodi-
Mohican 100 miler. Thats it!!!
on another note, I linked your blog regarding my trying to quit coffee as you miraculously did one day according to your post sometime back.

Rice said...

Very poignant..

Merry Christmas.

Rice.