Sunday, April 22, 2007

Training update...

I just had the most intense weekend of training ever. And that includes camp. Sitting here on my couch, packed with ice, I thought I would share...

Went out with my swimming buddies for my brick on Saturday. Neither of them was up for 4 hours, so they split it up for me. I started with Lanny and met up with Tony after 1:20. Then we dropped off Lanny at 2:45, and Tony and I went out again until 4:15. So what was so special about this ride? (Other than having wonderful friends who are willing to bend over backwards so that you can get your training in)

67 miles
8000 feet of climbing

8000 friggin feet!

And when I was done I had to do a 45 minute run. The prescribed workout was 15 minutes Z2, 15 minutes Z3, then 15 minutes Z2. Now for some reason, hard bike workouts result in quite substantial HR depression for me. So when I started my run I knew I was in for it. I started at my normal Zone 2 pace and checked my HR. Zone 1. I picked it up a bit. Still zone 1. Then I hit the 15 minute mark and knew I needed to hit HR of 165 (minimum HR for Z3). I started running, then I started running hard, then I ran as hard as my tired legs would take me. I didn't hit 165 until I was at 7:50 pace. By the time I was done I was in a world of hurt. I went home, forced myself to eat, and then collapsed onto the couch. I stayed there until I felt it was socially acceptable to go up to bed and officially pass out.

Sunday beckoned

I woke up hurting. My body was sore and my ITB was flaring. That hasn't happened since October. So I started stretching and knew I had to suck it up for my 2:20 run.

I met Jen and couple other runners down by the towpath and we started out on the run. And then we hit the trails... and went straight up. More climbing... lovely!

The run was actually really nice. Great company, great trails, not so top notch body, but I have learned to make do ;-)

And... I did the longest run (mileage or time) of my life. Despite the hills I got in 14 miles. Remember back when a "long run" was 1 hour? Those were the days!

Then... I had to swim 4000 yards.

So after a nice lunch with Jen I was off to school for the open swim. I ran into an Ironman finisher (I was wearing my Cali swim cap) and we got talking for a bit. He is doing Alcatraz this year and was also coming off a 2 hour hard run. After a bit of chatting I dove in and swam nice and steady for 4000 yards. I grabbed a pull buoy for about half of it to give my legs a break. I hit a nice, super easy steady rhythm, and was surprised when I was done I had only been in for 1:05. Sometimes I think I actually swim faster when I take it easy. There's definitely something to be said for focusing on form.

By the time I got home I could barely walk my ankles hurt so badly. My shoes are old and the pronation control is totally inadequate for my flat feet. It's so time for new shoes!

So here I am, with ice on my knee, soon to switch to my ankles. I'm too tired to think of anything even remotely witty or introspective to add to the blogger world, so you're stuck with my dribble.

Welcome to Ironman Training

9 comments:

JeffM said...

8000 feet and a 14 mile run the next day?! That's serious training.

Anonymous said...

Jodi! Thank you for the kind words :) I feel so lucky to have people like you, Paulo and the gang in my life! Keep up the hard work!! It will pay off!!!

Me said...

Ah, the trials and tribulations of Ironman training. It'll get worse before it gets better.

JenC said...

You are doing great! It was lovely running with you yesterday. You pushed me to run faster/farther than I thought I could do when I woke up that morning AND you were hurting! You are a rock star!

TJ said...

whew! i'm tired just reading about it...

Unknown said...

Wow! What an amazing weekend of training. No kidding you are on the couch. I think you earned the rest. Great job...and I'm so happy I'm only doing short course right now...

Oanh said...

Hi Jodi - Just wanted to say hi to a fellow med student triathlete! I'm training for my first tri right now -- I'll be competing in the Wildflower Olympic in two weeks. I'm also training with TNT. Good luck with your IronMan training -- I'm in awe of you!

You can check out my blog at:
http://oanhintraining.blogspot.com

qcmier said...

Wow, I am always so impressed with your training. You are going to do AWESOME at CdA. By the way, want to do Hudson Relays?

Kate said...

Whew! that is SO amazing. Just reading about it makes me tired- but also excited!