Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Antsy

Today I woke up feeling all wound up. Kind of early in taper for this antsy pants feeling, but it certainly makes the workouts better. Taper is one of the times that I try to do EVERY workout as described. If it says zone 5, I do zone 5. Zone 4 is ALWAYS zone 4. If my heart rate doesn't cooperate, I go harder. Yesterday was a 4k swim with a main set of 2 x 400-300-200-100 (zone 2,3,4,5) slid in at the end. The beginning of taper is not exactly the most fresh and energetic time, so I forced myself to hold to 1:35, 1:30, 1:25, 1:20 pace per hundred. Thankfully the paces kind of helped me to block out the fact that the pool was so cloudy I couldn't see 5 feet in front of me and it didn't smell like there was a drop of chlorine in it. The guy who shared a lane with me kindly pointed out that he just wished they would fish out all the used bandaids on the floor. GROSS! I am just hoping it doesn't make me sick before I leave. Two more swims in that thing before I catch the big bird tomorrow. It kind of looks like this:

dirty pool

I'm thinking of heading to the pool in this today:



I could always go to CSU with the masters group, but that means I have to get up at 4:30 and since they are long-course now there is unlikely to be an extra lane for me to do the taper workouts. The rest of the year I just swim masters. But my psyche dictates that I always follow the same taper schedule. This is Half Iron #5 with the SATW (super awesome taper week) and I'll be damned if I'm changing it now!

Ok, time for me to continue trying to diffuse this extra energy. Can't swim until this afternoon. The water aerobics ladies get to wash off their lotion and hairspray with the pool this morning...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ick! That can't be good.

At least it sounds like your taper is going really well.

BreeWee said...

Just wanted to tell you to have a GREAT race and enjoy the taper... feet up, low stress, have fun!!

ADC said...

Yuk, that pool doesn't sound that good.

Oscarjet said...

hello ! thankas for post your blog on the forum..
i love it.
I link you on my blog list and i am follwer of you.Do the same !!
hehe .i will visit you ...
keep training !! bye !!