Sunday, January 21, 2007

Second blog of the day????

Maddie at her favorite park (we went this morning)


I know, this is crazy. 2 posts in one day. I just got back from my longest run (duration) ever! I thought that was worthy of a post.

Matt and I went down to the towpath. Why I thought the towpath surface would be good for running today, I'll never know!. We did our long runs down there last Sunday in the rain. It was muddy and wet... and awesome (probably my most enjoyable run ever). So today it was 9 degrees out. It has snowed about 4 inches in the past few days... Does it sound to you like the gravel towpath would be smooth running today? Yeah, not so much. I ran for 2 hours on snow covered ice. It was a crazy workout for the legs- my ankles and hips are screaming! It took so much extra muscle to stabilize my legs on the uneven surface- not to mention trying to keep from falling on my ass.

Matt and I travel down there together but run separately (he's faster than me). Right when I started I realized that this wouldn't be a great "run". So I decided to consider it an endurance challenge. A day to prime the aerobic engine. It was quite an adventure. I saw a bunch of people skiing on the path and it brought back some great memories from when I was younger...

I am very close with my parents. My Dad and I are very similar- love to exercise, same disposition (type B), both into research and science. Every February we would go away for the weekend with 2 of his buddies and their daughters to have a father-daughter X-country skiing weekend. One of his friends owns a cabin that is associated with a resort. It's right on a lake and the cabin had this little lighthouse room with a great view of the area. It was so awesome. Northern Wisconsin is always really cold in February. We would go out skiing all day- when we finished our hair would be frozen solid, snot frozen to our cheeks, and we would all be exhausted and sweaty. To warm up we would head over to the resort to spend an hour going from the pool to the sauna to the hot tub. Then it was back to the cabin for hot chocolate and games. I really miss that. Anyway... my run today made me think of our weekends. Maybe I'll ask my dad if we can do that again now that us girls are grown up. It would be a blast. I miss X-country skiing!

I digress... The playlist on my Mp3 player was wonderful, so I thought I would share:

I see you, you see me..............................Magic Numbers
You're Beautiful........................................James Blunt

Late............................................................Ben Folds

What am I to you?...................................Norah Jones

Seombody that I used to know..............Elliott Smith

The Luckiest.............................................Ben Folds

Goodbye my lover....................................James Blunt

Sleep to Dream..........................................Fiona Apple

Northern Sky............................................Nick Drake

Gracie.........................................................Ben Folds

Just Like Heaven......................................The Cure

Through the dark......................................KT Tunstall

Young Pilgrims...........................................The Shins

Life for Rent................................................Dido

Crash into Me.............................................Dave Matthews Band

Thank You..................................................Dido

Brick.............................................................Ben Folds Five

Criminal........................................................Fiona Apple

Pink Moon....................................................Nick Drake

Somewhere over the Rainbow..................Isreal Kamamawiwo

Forgiven.......................................................Alanis Morissette

White Flag....................................................Dido

Stupidity Tries.............................................Elliott Smith

One of Those Things First.........................Nick Drake

Don't think Twice it's Allright....................Bob Dylan

Humble Me...................................................Norah Jones

Be Here to Love Me....................................Norah Jones

If I had a Million Dollars.............................Barenaked Ladies

#41.................................................................Dave Matthews Band

Ballad of Big Nothing...................................Elliott Smith


Have a nice week!

14 comments:

Wes said...

You and Sara are just awesome! Getting out in those cold temps. Do you wear those little teeth on your shoes when you run in the snow and ice? I can imagine how hard you have to work to not slip and bust your butt. Can be pretty scary!

Trisaratops said...

Great tuneage!

We'll have to meet for a snowy long run! I love love love 'em.

Another thing I'd love to do is get a crew to go to the Strongsville Toboggan Ice Chutes--so fun--and have hot chocolate after! I'm out of town this week but maybe next week? It could be a girls night! We could squeeze in a run before....? :)

Erlina said...

Brrrrrr..........amazing.

Kate said...

So impressed! It never gets REALLY cold here, so I am a complete wuss.

Sounds like some nice tunes for a snowy day run :-)

JenC said...

Happy to see we have some tunes in common. Great job on the brick (just read Janet's post) and the run!

mike said...

Great tunes list...especially the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole song from 50 First Dates...love that tune for some reason...must be the ukulele in it...for some strange reason, I want to learn to play the ukulele...must have been the trips to Hawaii as a kid and then later in life. Also dig the Canadian content and my hometown boys, BNL.

Janet Edwards said...

Your cross country ski trip sounds so cool--what a perfect way to spend some quality time together!!

I know I would get a kcik out of my dad on some cross country skis :-O

Charlie said...

Nick Drake and a long run in the snow is my idea of a perfect moment.

JeffM said...

The cross- country trips sound fun. You have good muscles to be able to run in snow- I'm a wimp that way.

Aleks said...

It's clear to me that I have to spend some time on iTunes! I'm getting bored of my playlist, this will be mostly new to me! Thanks for the list!

LoneStarCrank said...

2 hours at 9-degrees. Muchas cahones Jodi!

Cliff said...

Humble me from Norah jones is a great song.

Is "Be here to love me" new?

The Blights said...

Glad you had such a great run! Love the picture of Maddie! That's one happy dog!

The Stretch Doc said...

wow and I thought running in 40 degree weather was tough, im a whimp! I bow down, not worthy.!!

rockon`