Monday, October 23, 2006

This time it's for real!

It's not kidding. Not a warning shot. It's snowing.

October 23- first day that the white stuff accumulated on my lawn. Not a small amount, either. We're talking a solid inch of snow. Slippery driving this morning too because it snowed pretty heavily when I was walking the Mad dog this morning at 5am. I am a little disturbed about this. It seems that the years it snows early are the years it snows A LOT! Why do I care, you ask? Because I am doing one of the earliest Half IMs and full IMs of the year. And it's looking like I'm going to really have to make friends with the trainer. And possibly re-subscribe to netflix. I'm thinking of renting full series of TV shows. I don't watch TV, so I have a lot of catching up to do with the popular shows like 24 and Lost. Anything to make the trainer hours go by faster!

Training update: I had a great day on Saturday. We had our first club duathlon. I had initially thought I would race these, but I have come to the realization that I have an inibility to "take it easy" when at a race. So to save my poor knees I am going to be volunteering for these instead. What was my job on Saturday you ask:


I was the 1 mile turnaround cone for the run!

We had a great time out there and after the race the sun came out and we went for a beautiful 30 mile autumn bike ride. It was hilly enough to stay nice and warm and we had a good group that went out. I now realize it will probably be the last comfortable ride until somewhere in the vacinity of April. *sigh* Afterwards Jen and I went out to eat in Peninsula and it was very yummy. But for some reason I found it impossible to get full that day. I think the tapeworm's back...

Then Sunday I had a nice 75 minute run on the treadmill. It went as well as can be expected. My knee didn't hurt at all, which is a huge bonus of the treadmill. The downside is that it's boring as hell! But there was a John Grisham movie on in the gym which kept me occupied. It had Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd. I love both of them and was frankly amazed that I'd never seen it before.

Then this morning it was a 3100 yard swim and I'm ready to hit the hay because I'm back on the trainer in the morning to finish the movie I started last Tuesday. Fun stuff!

12 comments:

Wes said...

That is so cool! You make a great cone :-) I'm giving some serious thought to volunteering for more events. I'm already planning to help with IM Florida 07. That's a great workout. 3100 yards in the pool!?? WOW!!

JenC said...

I didn't know you actually were a "cone". That's fabulous!

:) said...

You do make a great cone...maybe you could do it professionally and make some money!!! :)

Lance Notstrong said...

How does one apply for such a job as being a "cone"? :-)

Rice said...

Lmao! Awesome work, you really nailed that ‘turn around cone’.. Will you have a full race report on that one??

Cheers.

Rice.

Steve Stenzel said...

FRICKIN SNOW!!?! Let's all move south.

TriSonq said...

Ditto on the previous comments. Ditch med school & the Ph.D.. You have a true "Cone" calling!

E-Speed said...

glad the training is going so well for you. Love the cone picture!

Charlie said...

traditionally I always talk to landmarks along the way. Rarely do they talk back. Good job Saturday.
Snow, snow, snow.
I rented "Worlds Fastest Indian last night". It is about a fella with a dream to set a land speed record on his motor bike.
At times he is going 200mph on his bike.
Good trainer movie.

qcmier said...

Snow? You live on the wrong side of town. =)

Love the pic. I think your next trainer movie should be Coneheads. Or you could do what I did last winter and read some medical journals.

Cliff said...

that pic is hilarious..

I look forward to the trainer time. Catch up on movies and series i miss for the whole year.

LoneStarCrank said...

Trainers are brutal on the mind! Great swim workout... I'm surprised your cone calisthenics didn't wear your arms out.