Another 100 hour week in the books and I'm enjoying my one free afternoon. Learned a ton more stuff this week:
1. I need to think of more creative ways to say- I don't know... I'm not sure... I have no idea... I should know that, huh? I'm thinking of learning some Spanish. Or maybe German. I dunno, just to mix it up a bit in surgery.
2. Surgeons have to keep a cool head under pressure and not to let ANYTHING surprise them. Even if, say... you go to see a patient and his small intestines are sitting quietly in his lap. No biggie... we'll take care of that for you right away sir...
3. I am learning the distinct smells of various normal and infected bodily fluids. My favorite so far is a nasty, polymicrobial pancreatic pseudocyst . Good stuff.
4. Sleeping on a gurney in a dark room from 2-5am is my idea of living it up
5. Contrary to popular belief, I actually can function pretty well on 3 hours of sleep.
6. My messed up body gains weight on an all natural fruit and veggie rich diet, and loses weight while eating cookies and sorbet for dinner. Go figure.
7. Jeans and t-shirts feel oh so sexy after living for 2 weeks in baby puke green scrubs that are 2 sizes too big.
8. There's just nothing wrong with shaking your groove thing 3 hours into a long surgery.
9. Getting a pager...free. Having a pager that never goes off...priceless
10. I am slowly becoming master of my domain- putting in and taking out foley catheters, taking hair off people's bodies, running around the hospital to retrieve things, buying food and coffee for the team, retracting fat, cutting sutures... Maybe I'll have them all perfected by the time I leave to move onto my next rotation...
I was on call again last night. So today is my 14th day of work in a row, most of which have been >14 hours. I can't complain, though because I just love being there. But it was great to have an afternoon off. I went to Stone Oven bakery, drank coffee, ate lunch, went to Whole Foods, bought myself some flowers, mowed my lawn, and took Maddie to the park. I'm making myself baked Tilapia with broccoli and raspberries for dessert. Eating vegetables has become quite the rare luxury these days. And, uh... I'm going on day 12 of no exercise. Nada. Zilch. Zippo. Ah well. Life goes on, right?
Ruster Sports vs Jordan Rapp
10 hours ago