1. Fruit punch Accelerade is not to be consumed during lecture when you are tired and wearing a white coat
2. One should always eat before going to observe or assist surgery. Not eating or drinking will result in morbid embarrassment and near loss of consciousness. But you can make one hell of a first impression...
3. A person actually can live off a steady diet of Cliff bars and sports drink
4. If you go to the hospital to get bowel surgery you have to prepare yourself to give a full detail of your flatulence to a large white-coated group of strangers every morning.
5. I'm pretty sure that I have forgotten more about medicine in the last 4 years than I learned in the first 2 years of med school. It's sad to realize the minutia that I worked so hard to cram into my brain has been replaced with useless knowledge of sports drink composition, aerodynamics, and overuse injuries.
6. Time flies when you're busy. Even a 29 hour shift.
7. Sleeping just 1.5 hours at 4:30am can make you feel like a million bucks. Really.
8. Despite feeling like a million bucks until 3pm, sleeping 1.5 hours will catch up to you and make you feel like a vegetable for the rest of the day
9. Wearing scrubs all day, although loose and unflattering, is a wonderful perk for the fashion retarded (like me)
10. It is really, really going to be hard to not go into surgery. The lifestyle sucks, but I love it. Every day is a new challenge, and most of the time you can actually fix a person's problems. What a concept!
Ok, time for me to get my lazy butt out of this house and get some fresh air. I'm not quite up for a ride (which is very sad since I haven't ridden since last Sunday), but I'm going to go make one labrador very happy by taking her to her favorite watering hole.
As a sidenote, congrats to all of those competing at IMUSA today! I've been watching some pretty awesome performances by the Cleveland mafia and can't wait to hear all about your races. A special note to my training buddy Jen who is in the middle of the marathon right now. Go Jen!
Ruster Sports vs Jordan Rapp
10 hours ago