Saturday, July 07, 2007

The No Training Zone

No Training

You have now entered the No Training Zone. For the next several months, not a word will be uttered of heart rate zones, structured workouts, or bricks. There will be no racing, no taper, no recovery weeks. No Garmin data, no swimming sets, no hill repeats.

There will be exercise and cycling, and swimming and weights, and core body workouts. But they will only occur when I damn well please. And for as long as I feel like. If I want to go out and ride 150 miles, I'll do it. If I want to ride 12 miles and make that ride take all day, I will do it.

I'm glad we all got that straight

:-)

Today I had a wonderful 50 mile bike ride with the Shaker Cycling group. I was the token woman again. Why aren't more women into cycling? (Discuss amongst yourselves. I'm baffled by this). But it was a great ride. I love going out with them. It's such a nice group of people and I'm really pushed hard, since I'm definitely one of the weakest cyclists who shows up. For the first 2 hours I hang on for dear life at the end of the paceline, little legs flailing, lucky to get a sip or two of gatorade between hills. For being 13 days out from IM, I'm feeling remarkably recovered, though. The only real weak point was climbing out of the valley. I got dropped in a major way. A little bit of a reality check, but I'm a bit amazed I held on to the group as long as I did. I hope I can ride with them every once in awhile after school starts. It's a great fitness boost every Saturday!

Tomorrow I'm going out on a smell the roses Sunday tour of Chagrin Falls. Average speed 13-14 miles per hour with breakfast at the end. What a nice change of pace that will be!

Then for the rest of the week... who knows! Whatever comes up I guess. But whatever I do, I won't call it training.

8 comments:

Wes said...

Did I mention how much I love your new profile pic? You have that "I just finished an Ironman" swagger. If your face wasn't so red, you wouldn't even know it! LOL. I'm sure you were laughing because you just tripped over the finish line!

Sounds like everything you do for the next couple of months will be fun fun fun! Enjoy :-)

Angry Runner said...

Damn woman, you've gone to the Dark Side. I've been meaning to do a post on Workout vs. Training, and it appears you've effectively gone the workout route. I can't heckle though, you've earned it. I mean that...

Just don't step foot on an elliptical machine.

Me said...

I can't imagine going 13-14mph for a ride. For me, 16mph is super slow. I'm Ok with 18mph and I'm really happy with 20mph or more. Oh, and I'm an asshole elitist, too. :-)

You know, I kind of envy you with your unstructured workouts that are fun.

Bob Almighty said...

Well you did an ironman you deserve a little break...now if only you can help me presuade the angry Runner into joining me for IM Florida for next year.Of course this will be after you two duel it out at Eagleman, my blog will start posting odds in a couple of weeks.

khai said...

Make sure you stop for coffee & croissants / assorted baked goods on your rides. Paulo loves that!

Dances with Corgis said...

Whatever shall you blog about?!?! :)

I think you should make this a sexcapade blog!

heh heh. Not that my mind is in the gutter, or anything ;)

rustyboy said...

Oh MAN! Just when my training starts ramping up, I read this?

Jealous. Very much so.

But wait 'til you hear how lazy I am at the end of October! I might hire a sherpa to carry me around throughout the entire month of November.

Anonymous said...

Life can be, and is, very good this way. I describe it as training [working out] for fitness and health because training for a race isn't necessarily so...